All the summer fruit has been delicious lately, and one of my favorite fruits is blueberries! Be sure to pick some up on your next visit to your local farmer’s market.
I am diabetic, so blueberries are a good choice for me because they are lower glycemic, which helps my blood sugar not spike as high, especially when I mix them with carbs in flour in the form of blueberry pancakes. I do take insulin, so I can eat whatever I want and just give myself enough insulin to cover the food I eat, but any way I can help reduce the amount of insulin I take per meal, I am all in.
The secret to fluffy pancakes? Let the batter sit at least 30 minutes. That way the baking powder has a chance to do its magic – the bubbles you see in the batter results in fluffy pancakes!
These are easy to make on the weekend for meal prep as well. You only have to cook once, and if you live by yourself (like me) you have 4 servings for the week. Just microwave for 45 seconds to reheat.
Blueberry Oat Pancakes
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Makes 4 servings (2 pancakes each)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Rest Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes, depending on how many you can cook at a time
2 cups quick oats
3 medium ripe bananas
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup milk of choice (I use almond milk)
2 cups fresh blueberries
Pinch of salt
1. Blend the ingredients in a blender. Let batter sit for 30 minutes or even overnight.
2. Using 1/3 cup measure for the batter, pan fry for 3-4 minutes a side over medium low heat.
3. Once you spoon out the batter, top with the blueberries – if you blend the blueberries with the batter, your batter will be purple, which could be fun if you have small kids!
4. Serve with your favorite bacon or sausage.
For more brunch ideas, don't miss these upcoming classes at The Chopping Block:
- Virtual Croque Madame (Ham and Gruyere Cheese Griddled Sandwich with Béchamel and Topped with a Fried Egg) Sunday, July 31 11am CST
- Hands-On New Orleans Brunch on the Grill Sunday, August 21 11am Lincoln Square