If you’re local to Chicago, you know about Mother Nature’s wild mood swings when it comes to spring weather. One day it’s 75 degrees and sunny, and the next day it’s snowing. Despite the fluctuating temperatures, the moment I get a taste of warm weather, I’m ready to fire up the grill again on a routine basis.
I love grilling everything from beef ribs, to chicken, to cheese, and even fruit, but I really love grilling vegetables because there are so many options (eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers are some of my go-tos), and I love the smoky flavor that the grill imparts which really transforms them into something special.
Recently, I decided to experiment with grilling sweet potatoes and the results were surprisingly delicious and definitely a side dish that I’ll be enjoying all summer long.
Sweet potatoes grill up nicely because they are hearty – you won’t have to worry about them falling apart or slipping through your grill grates! The smoky flavor the grill imparts really pairs nicely with the natural sweetness of the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes work well with a variety of flavors – cinnamon and brown sugar, curry, maple, rosemary, chipotle, and so much more – so you can mix up your own seasonings or use your favorite rub. I added feta cheese at the end for a pop of salt, and some fresh herbs for brightness but feel free to change things up!
These sweet and spicy grilled sweet potatoes take sweet potatoes to a whole new level that you’ll be enjoying all summer long. They can be enjoyed fresh off the grill or room temperature. You can certainly double or triple this recipe if you have a bigger crowd.
Sweet and Spicy Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Feta
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup garlic grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup Jalapeno Gold
2 oz feta cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh basil
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
1. Preheat grill on high.
2. Cut sweet potatoes (unpeeled) into ½ inch slices.
3. Arrange on a platter and drizzle with garlic grapeseed oil.
4. In a small bowl, mix salt, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, pepper, sugar, cinnamon and cayenne.
5. Sprinkle sweet potatoes with spice blend. Flip and repeat by drizzling with garlic grapeseed and seasoning the other side.
6. Over direct heat, place sweet potatoes on grill grates and turn the heat to low. I use a gas grill and find it’s easier to start the grill on high to make sure it’s hot and then turn the temperature down while the potatoes are cooking. If you are using charcoal, I find it easiest to start the potatoes on direct heat and then move them to an indirect spot so they can finish cooking without burning.
7. Let potatoes cook for 7-8 minutes on each side, covered (grill should be 350 degrees) until you have nice char marks. If the potatoes are getting too dark before being cooked through, you can move them to a cooler spot on the grill (or use a rack to create some space between the heat source).
8. After the potatoes are nearly cooked through, glaze each slice with Jalapeno Gold (this stuff is pure magic!).
9. Close the grill and let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
10. Sprinkle with feta, close grill, cook for another 1-2 minutes to soften.
11. Platter up your sweet potatoes and garnish with torn basil and parsley.
If these grilled sweet potatoes have you ready to fire up the grill, join us at Lincoln Square and become a grill master in Grilling Boot Camp on Saturday, May 29 or Saturday, June 19.
Or check out some of our other upcoming patio classes at Lincoln Square! You can kick back and leave the cooking to us:
- Rendezvous Under the Stars Demo Friday, May 14 6pm
- Steakhouse Demo on the Patio Friday, May 28 6:30pm
- Brunch Al Fresco: Demo on the Patio Sunday, May 30 11am
- Date Night: Demo on the Patio Saturday, June 5 6:30pm
Or you can roll up your sleeves and do the cooking yourself:
- Hands on Chicken on the Grill Sunday, June 6 11am
- Hands-On Grillin’ with Dad on Father’s Day Sunday, June 20 4pm
Or if you can’t join us in-person, we’ve got some great virtual grilling classes coming up:
- Virtual Sunday Dinner on the Grill – Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sunday, May 16 4pm CST
- Virtual Sunday Dinner on the Grill – Grilled Stuffed Burgers Sunday, May 30 4pm CST
- Virtual Sunday Dinner on the Grill – Grilled Miso Salmon Sunday, June 6 4pm CST
And if you need some new rubs to up your grilling game, some garlic grapeseed oil or Jalapeno Gold, come shop with us at Lincoln Square. Our retail store will be open Wednesday through Saturday starting May 1st!