It is almost Delicata squash season! I have seen a couple of people on Instagram already start posting recipes using my favorite vegetable. Not sure why it has such a short season, but when I get my hands on some, I make Delicata squash rings – think onion rings but with Delicata!
What is Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is a winter squash that is a cross between a butternut squash and an acorn squash. They call this squash the “lazy man squash” because the skin is completely edible. It's flesh is firm and is great for roasting, stuffing, gnocchi, biscuits and making these delicious Delicata rings.
How Do You Prepare Delicata Squash?
In this recipe I have two methods – one is battered and fried and the second is dry coated and cooked in an air fryer. The obvious winner is obviously the deep-fried version. If you do not have a deep fryer, you can also pan fry.
Delicata Squash Two Ways
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes (depending on method)
- Deep fryer
- Air fryer
For the Baked or Air-Fried Version
1 medium delicata squash cut into 12 circles
1/4 cup self-rising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika (or favorite spice blend)
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
For the Deep-Fried Version
1/3 cup self-rising flour
2 ounces seltzer water
1 teaspoon paprika (or favorite spice blend)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the deep fried version:
1. Mix the flour, seltzer, and seasoning. Dip 6 of the slices in the batter, deep fry at 350 for about 5-6 minutes, flipping once. Sprinkle with salt when they come out of the fryer.
For the baked (or air fryer)** version:
1. Mix the flour, salt, pepper and seasoning together in one bowl. In a second bowl, mix the egg and almond milk together in a second bowl. And lastly, mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together. I did add a bit of my seasoning to each of the bowls, but that is a personal preference.
2. Dip the squash rings in the egg/flour/egg/bread crumb mixture. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Place the rings on the sheet, spray the top, bake at 450 for 10 minutes per side - flipping after the first 10 minutes.
*I used Code 3 Spices 5-0 rub that has paprika, garlic and other seasonings. You can use lemon pepper seasoning, or any other BBQ seasoning of choice.
**For the air fryer, cook these in an air fryer at 360 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
While Delicata squash is a winter squash, we still have some summer cooking to do in our Lincoln Square location this weekend in honor of Labor Day. Don't miss:
- Summer Food and Wine Pairing Demonstration on the Patio Friday, September 3, 6:30pm
- All American Hands-On Backyard BBQ Saturday, September 4, 6:30pm
- New Orleans Brunch Demo on the Grill Sunday, September 5, 11am
If you really want to learn how to preserve summer a little longer, join us for a virtual Homemade Refrigerator Jams, Salsas and Pickles class this Saturday, September 4 at 4pm CST. You'll make (and enjoy for months to come):
- Peach-Vanilla Refrigerator Jam
- Tomato and Roasted Poblano Refrigerator Salsa
- Refrigerator Pickled Corn, Zucchini and Fennel Relish