There are so many amazing holiday flavors this time of year to delight the senses – you’ve got chocolate, peppermint, cranberry, chestnut, eggnog, and of course, gingerbread, just to name a few. It can certainly be hard to choose! I love warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, so I really enjoy experimenting with new ways to enjoy gingerbread.
Gingerbread has been around for hundreds, if not thousands of years and is one of the many items that was brought to America by European settlers. Over time, molasses was used instead of sugar, because it was cheaper and creates a softer, more desirable texture in baked goods. Cultures all over the world continue enjoy their version of gingerbread, especially at this time of the year!
I always enjoy making a big breakfast on Christmas morning, something indulgent, yet not too involved so that I can enjoy the morning with friends and family, but hearty enough to keep those bellies full until our holiday meal later in the day. Stratas, casseroles, and French Toast are great options because you can get started the day before, but as I’m still trying to reign supreme as the Pancake Princess this year, my mind went straight to Gingerbread Pancakes!
These pancakes will please kids and adults alike. You can even make the batter the night before so all you have to do the day of is griddle them. These gingerbread pancakes are sure to be the star of your next festive holiday breakfast or brunch. Try them with our Finding Farms Bourbon Maple Syrup – it’s an incredible combo!
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Servings: 8 pancakes
Prep Time: 10 min
Active Time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup molasses, unsulphured
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup candied ginger, finely minced
1/4 cup dates, finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together vanilla, milk, eggs, molasses, and butter.
3. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (a few lumps are okay).
4. Stir in candied ginger, dates, and lemon zest.
5. You can cover and store in the fridge for 1-2 days, or griddle right away.
6. Heat a non-stick pan, or griddle, on medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons butter to the pan.
7. Ladle 1/2-cup size pancakes into the pan. Cook on one side until edges begin to set (about 2-3 min), flip and cook 2 more minutes.
8. Serve with blackberries, lemon zest and your favorite maple syrup!
If these pancakes have you yearning to learn more breakfast or brunch ideas, join us for Virtual Eggs Benedicts this Sunday, December 19 at 11am CST or Virtual Building Blogs: Egg Cookery on Saturday, January 8 at 10am CST.
If you’re like me, and are nowhere close to being done with your holiday shopping, our retail store has some fabulous options! We have a breakfast gift kit that includes Finding Farms Pancake Mix, Coffee Infused Maple Syrup, Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup, and American Spoon Apple Butter. You can order online and pick up from Lincoln Square!