With cooler weather on the way, I can’t think of anything more inviting than a hot bowl of soup. This Tex-Mex Meatball Soup is a hearty, zesty soup that I really can’t get enough of. I always make a double batch because it is so delicious, and I definitely want leftovers for a couple of days. It is a complete meal too, which is a win for this busy momma. Full of vegetables, protein, and some carbohydrates, it really hits the spot.
Because I have little kids with a sensitive palate, I only use one chipotle pepper in this recipe (baby steps to more heat), but I used to add two or three because it is such a great spicy flavor. So, if you are a fan of the heat, I highly encourage you to add more chipotle. A can of chipotle peppers usually has several peppers inside, and if you find there are still leftover peppers, you can save them by freezing them in freezer safe zip-top baggies. Just make sure to label them so you remember what is inside and use within six months. To use up your extra chipotles, try out this Chili-Lime Rubbed Grilled Steak with Chipotle Butter. The Chopping Block is hosting a Virtual Class for Mexican Fiesta on Friday, September 4 at 6pm CST so be sure to sign up for this fun Family Night Cook Along.
Tex-Mex Meatball Soup
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
1-1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
2 large eggs
3 Tablespoons fresh minced onion
3 Tablespoons tomato sauce
2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspsoon salt
1/4 teaspsoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 1-15 oz can of chopped tomatoes)
8 oz of tomato sauce
3 cups beef broth
15 oz can of black beans
15 oz of corn kernels (canned or frozen)
1 chipotle pepper, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped and more for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350° Prepare meatballs. Mix all ingredients for meatballs into a large bowl.
2. Combine meatball mixture until thoroughly mixed. Roll into balls and place on lined baking sheet.
3. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Tip: Prepare veggies while meatballs are in the oven to save time.
4. Start on soup. In a large pot, heated over medium heat, add oil and onions, celery, carrots, and bell pepper.
5. Add cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes until onions become translucent.
6. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Then immediately add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef broth. Bring to a simmer.
7. Once simmering, add corn, black beans, and chipotle. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add meatballs and cilantro to heat through. Once back to a simmer, it’s done.
8. Serve hot with fresh cilantro.
For more soup recipes ideas, don't miss these upcoming virtual cooking classes:
- Virtual Meatless Monday Cook Along: Vegetarian Harvest featuring Late Summer Corn and Herb Chowder on Monday, September 28 at 6pm CST
- Virtual Cooking Demo: Cannellini Bean, Farro and Spinach Soup on Saturday, October 12 at 10am CST