I often crave pizza, but don’t have the time to make it from scratch. My favorite pizza crust recipe requires one proofing, so instead, this quick and easy bubble pizza is my go-to. I love that this recipe only requires about 15 minutes of prep, so I can relax with family while my oven does the rest of the work. And in 30 short minutes, dinner is ready.
I like to have a lot of dinner options every week, since introducing new foods to my kids keeps them interested and excited to try more. The Chopping Block offers a variety of virtual cooking classes, so you can confidently plan your entire dinner menu with new and interesting flavors every week!
A few weeks ago, Owner/Chef Shelley Young shared a blog post about scones, biscuits, and shortcakes – which inspired me to share this recipe with you. Bubble pizza is a fun name for this stress-free meal consisting of homemade biscuits, pizza sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and pizza toppings, all baked to golden perfection. Our favorite topping add-ins: pepperoni, sliced pepperoncini peppers, and sliced black olives. The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it to use your favorite pizza toppings. Or, if you need to use up any leftover bits in the fridge, this is a great way to re-purpose them.
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
3 cups all-purpose flour (and more for dusting surface)
1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 1/4 cups milk, cold
14 oz pizza sauce
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sliced Pepperoncini Peppers
- Black Olives –
- Whatever you like! You'll need about 2 cups total of toppings.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and generously grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Prepare your biscuits: Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add cubed margarine/butter and squeeze into the flour until the fat has reduced in size to about pea-sized pieces. Using a fork, gently stir/toss while adding milk. Stop when the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and with floured hands, press into a rectangle about 1/2” thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 1” squares. This does not have to be precise, but try not to have any large pieces.
3. In the bowl you prepared your biscuits, add pizza sauce, the cheese (reserve 1 cup for the top before baking), and pizza toppings. Stir to combine. Add in biscuits and gently toss to coat. Pour into a baking dish and spread to one even layer.
4. Top with remaining cheese before baking.
5. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until totally golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting into 8-10 pieces and serve hot.
Here’s an inside view of this bubble pizza.
You can see the billowy soft biscuits and gooey cheese. I really recommend this quick and yummy dinner. Serve it alongside a nice salad, and you’re good to go. For more recipe ideas like this one, join us in our private Facebook group.