Summer is all about having fun and enjoying good food. And what better way to do that than with an easy, delicious recipe for any occasion? One of my favorite desserts for the season is Key Lime Pie!
There is just something about this refreshing, light, tangy pie that I just can't get enough of. You're sure to impress your friends with this one! Best of all, this recipe is so easy to make that even inexperienced bakers can pull this off with ease. So why not make your summer special with some Key Lime Pie magic? Here are the elements:
- A graham cracker crust: I prefer a homemade one if you have the time, but a store-bought crust is just fine too.
- Sweetened condensed milk: This ingredient creates the base of the rich, luscious pie filling.
- Key lime juice: the flavor of a Key lime is more floral and sweeter than regular limes, which makes for a pie that is more refreshing and unique. Key limes can be hard to find when they're not in season and are not usually sold at most grocery stores. But bottled Key lime juice is usually always available. My favorite key lime juice is Nellie & Joe's Juice, Key West Lime.
- Egg yolks: the egg yolks help set the filling and give it richness.
Key Lime Pie
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Makes: 1 9-inch pie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Inactive time: 12 hours (for chilling)
Total time: 12 hours, 35 minutes
For the crust:
1 1/3 cups graham crackers, crushed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
For the filling:
1/2 cup key lime juice
3 egg yolks
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons lime zest (optional)
For the whipped cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Lime circles for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together melted butter, graham crackers and sugar until combined. This should be a sandy texture.
3. Lightly press the crust into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish going up the sides.
4. Bake for 5 minutes, just to set the crust.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together key lime juice, yolks, and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
6. Pour filling over the crust and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Allow to fully cool and then refrigerate until cold.
8. Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla and spread over the top of the key lime pie. Add lime circles for garnish (optional).
The pie should be served chilled, so keep it in the fridge until you're ready to slice and serve.
To learn how to make another delicious tropical dessert, don't miss Hands-On Date Night: Jamaica Me Crazy on Friday, June 23 at 6pm at Lincoln Square. You'll make Spiced Pineapple Bread Pudding and a lot of other island cuisine!
We also have a vegan version of this dessert in a tart form with meringue, and if vegan desserts intrigue you, celebrity vegan Chef Dustin Harder arrives next month for his vegan series of cooking class. Vegan Desserts is on Wednesday, July 12 at 6pm at Lincoln Square.
Of course, if more pie prowess is what you seek as a home cook, our Hands-On Pie and Tart Boot Camp delivers! Join us on Saturday, July 8 at 10am at Lincoln Square to become a master of:
- Perfect Pie Dough
- Blueberry-Lemon Hand Pies with Cream Cheese Dough
- Sweet Corn Quiche with Arugula, Sun-Dried Tomato and Parmesan Salad
- Individual Chocolate Custard Pies with Whipped Cream and Salted Caramel
- Individual Spiced Plum Galettes