It's Time to Get Cooking Again
The Chopping Block is committed to the safety of our employees and guests. Therefore, we are closely monitoring the developments associated with the spread of COVID-19, known as the Coronavirus, and are taking special measures to provide a safe environment for our employees and guests.
Under the current stay-at-home advisory for Chicago, in-person class offerings will be severely limited, and we will continue to offer our robust curriculum of virtual cooking, cocktail and wine classes. Due to COVID restrictions prohibiting consumption of food indoors, all food will be packaged to go at the end of the class for you to enjoy in the safety of your own home.
We have always taken cleanliness and sanitation seriously, which is why we have elevated our cleaning measures. Take a moment to read below our additional practices to promote employee and guest protection:
Employee education and training
- Cleaning: Employees will continue to be trained on appropriate cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting techniques, personal hygiene etiquette and the importance of consistently adhering to these new protocols along with the required food and safety regulatory guidelines.
- Hand washing: All employees will be reminded of the proper hand washing technique.
Prior to accessing our stores
- Health Screening – Anyone accessing the store for more than 15 minutes will be required to complete a health assessment. Each individual will conduct a self-evaluation and confirm in writing that they have not been exposed, recently diagnosed with a positive result of COVID or have any COVID-related symptoms. Individuals include employees, guests, customers, vendors and visitors.
Throughout our spaces
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as masks will be provided to both employees and guests as they are expected to be worn while in our spaces and during classes with the exception of when eating and drinking.
- Acrylic sneeze shields have been installed and can be re-adjusted at the cash wraps and kitchens.
- Additional hand sanitizer pumps will be provided throughout our space for all employees and guests to use.
- Touchless dispensers for paper towels and hand soap have been installed in the restrooms and designated handwashing sinks in the store.
- Everyone is required to comply with the 6-feet social distancing mandate.
All of our employees will be required to do the following:
- Wear masks throughout their shift and wear gloves while working in our kitchens.
- Wash hands immediately upon entering the store, between all guest interactions and according to kitchen hand washing guidelines set by the Department of Health and CDC.
- Continually disinfect common surfaces with EPA-registered products including interior/exterior door handles, registers, counters, chair backs/arms, restroom doors, stall locks and faucets.
Our retail stores
- Our retail stores will continue to be closed to the public at this time. Curbside pick-up is available at Lincoln Square. For details, please visit the Curbside Pickup links below or the SHOP tab in the top navigation of our website to see all retail product options.
- All retail purchases are final. We will offer no returns or exchanges at this time.
- Tasting stations will not be available at this time.
- Cash will not be accepted. Only credit cards and gift cards will be accepted for payment of any wine, beer or retail purchases at this time.
- Our Merchandise Mart location remains closed at this time.
- All guests will be required to wear a mask upon entry of our spaces and while the class is being taught. Masks will be removed while eating and drinking.
- Hand washing will be more frequently done between tasks.
- Disposable silverware including tamper-free cutlery will be used.
Again, our top priority is the health and safety of our employees and guests. Therefore, we will continue to monitor updates provided by the CDC and local health departments.
We will also continue our mission to get you cooking at home by offering virtual classes. We currently have two types of virtual classes:
- Our Virtual Demonstration classes, via Zoom, are a fun opportunity to watch your chef in action. During class, your chef will teach you how to prepare the dishes while you observe and take notes. Our Zoom moderator will make sure your questions submitted through the chat option are answered during or after class. The recipe packet will be provided upon registration. Please note that some recipe steps may be prepared ahead due to the length of the class. This price of this class is $10 + fees per screen.
- Our Virtual Cook Along classes, via Zoom, will have you and your chef cooking together in real time. We’ll provide you with the recipe packet and equipment list upon registration, so you’re prepared to get cooking, and when it’s over you’ll have dinner on the table! Our Zoom moderator will make sure your questions are answered live by the chef either during or after class. The price of this class is $50 + fees per screen.
See all of our current offerings, and check back often as we continue to add more curriculum each week.
Another way you can help support our business is to purchase a gift card. Our gift cards are valid for in-person classes (sorry, not for virtual classes at this time), events and retail, and they never expire. Gift card purchases will be critical in helping small businesses stay afloat during this difficult time.
It's always been our mission to "get you cooking" and know that we are always here for you. Reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, our website or social media channels with your cooking questions. Let's return to the kitchen and cook!
Stay healthy and safe as we all navigate through this unprecedented time together. As things are changing constantly, we'll use this page to provide updates to you.