If you’re looking for a host gift, a stocking stuffer, or something to put under the tree, edible is best when it comes to gifts. These homemade gifts are minimal effort and maximum tasty so you can provide everyone in your life with a lovely handmade gift. Here are some low maintenance gifts that you can make for your friends and family in under 30 minutes.
The Sweet: Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
1. Reduce one cup of good quality apple cider by about half. I used some additional cinnamon because it’s my favorite spice.
2. Once you have about ½ cup of apple cider, add in one stick of butter and a cup of brown sugar and whisk.
3. Boil for about 5 minutes, or until all the sugar dissolves and the mixture is foamy. Whisk in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or paste and take off the flame to cool.
This sauce is much easier than your typical caramel, and adds a wonderful apple cider flavor. It’s great over ice cream, drizzled onto popcorn or eaten with a spoon.
The Spicy: Spicy Roasted Cashews
1. Blanch one cup of raw, unsalted cashews in boiling water for about a minute.
2. Add any spices you prefer, but I found this combination is really lovely and has a slightly barbequed flavor to it.
- 2 teaspoons smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- A heavy pinch of fine sea salt, or to taste
(Full disclosure, I ate a lot of these as I was preparing them, so as you’re reading along, drink every time you notice a lot of missing cashews!)
3. Roast the cashews at 375F, stirring occasionally. Allow nuts to cool before packaging.
The Salty: Everything Sea Salt
This is probably the easiest one that you can make. It requires no time, minimal skill and effort. Perfect for a last minute gift.
1. Mix equal parts fennel seed, caraway seed, poppy seed, garlic powder and onion powder. For this amount, I used 1 tablespoon. Add 2 tablespoons of fine sea salt and taste. Adjust as necessary.
This is a great way to flavor vegetables, meats, popcorn, and just about anything you want. If you have someone in your life who loves baking or just loves everything bagels, this is a thoughtful and wonderful way to give your friends some flavor this year.
What are your holiday traditions? Do you handmake your gifts?
Join us for our Gifts from the Kitchen class this month as our chefs teach you the basics of homemade fruit butters, conserves and jams which make for perfect holiday gifts! We have two upcoming sessions of this hands-on cooking class: