Try thinking of foods that are good for you and that you also have little to no guilt eating obscene amounts of. Did hummus and guacamole cross your mind? Gun to your head: which would you choose if you could only have one? Yeah, I don’t like that game either. Which is why on a lazy day when I need to stay on a healthy streak but still indulge, I make hummus with avocados, lime, and cilantro. I like to call it “hummole” because it is easier than saying “avocado and hummus”… and it’s just more fun to say.
It is super simple to make. In a food processor, or using a mortar and pestle, combine:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 large hass avocados (add another if the pit is particularly large)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest for a stronger lime flavor
- Olive oil (add until it reaches your preferred consistency)
- Lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro and favorite seasoning to garnish (I like smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.)
Process until smooth and season to taste. Dip with your favorite veggies, crackers, or tortilla chips. Enjoy this at a party or on the couch in your pajamas for some guilt-free indulgence.
Looking for more vegan recipes and cooking techniques? Check out our Vegan Voyage: Italian Trattoria coming up this month and in February. And for even more vegan recipes, download our free Vegan from Scratch guide.