I used to be afraid of using yeast in recipes. I think it was because I had one failed attempt, and I thought to myself “Well, I am just not meant to be a baker!”
If you too were like me, this recipe will make you a winner with yeast and will impress your family! This is a great recipe to do on a weeknight, just mix and go about your night while it rises, then either pan fry them all at once, or just as needed, or as part of your weekly meal prep on the weekend.
I’ve used these for mini breakfast pizzas – just top with scrambled egg, cheese and bacon and put under the broiler until slightly browned. These would also be perfect for my recipe: Kofta Kebabs with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce.
Scroll down for a printable version of the recipe.
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Everything but the Bagel seasoning
1. Put the water in a bowl, and add the yeast and salt. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well until the dough combines. Spray with olive oil spray, cover with plastic wrap over the top, and place in a draft free place to rise for an hour. I just use my microwave.
2. Divide the dough into 12 portions - each of my naan were 3 ounces. Spray avocado oil spray in a non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Roll out each naan, and place in the heated pan. Spray with more avocado oil spray, sprinkle seasoning of choice - I used Everything but the Bagel seasoning, and once you see bubbles form over the top, flip once, and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- These will keep in your fridge for several days, but they also freeze really well too. If I want one the next day, I'll just throw it in my fridge overnight, but I've also defrosted in the microwave and toasted and that worked out fine too.
If learning how to make homemade bread and other yeast recipes is on your 2020 list of things to accomplish, check out these classes coming up at The Chopping Block:
How to Bake Bread Tuesday, January 7 6pm Merchandise Mart
Donut Boot Camp Sunday, February 2 10am Lincoln Square
Artisanal Breads Boot Camp Saturday, February 22 10am Lincoln Square
Raise your hand if you are ready to work with yeast. Pinky swear this recipe will be a success on the first try!