Need to get rid of yet another holiday leftover taking up valuable fridge real estate? Try these easy cheesy mashed potato pancakes. With a start to finish time of about 15 minutes and an ability to absorb a wide variety of other miscellaneous leftovers (chopped meats, chopped veggies, tidbits from the cheese tray) these savory treats can work as a quick breakfast, dinner side or even be miniaturized for an easy appetizer.
Easy Cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes
3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded cheese
3 scallions or ½ an onion
3 Tablespoons flour plus 1 cup set aside in a shallow dish for dredging
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil and a large skillet
1. Chop scallions or onion and place in a bowl with mashed potatoes, cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons flour and a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Mash together with a potato masher or fork (Feel free to add in anything else that sounds tasty. I love chopping up a little bit of leftover ham, adding some leftover onion dip or even some olives and hot peppers from the relish tray.)
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom to 1/4 inch.
4. While oil heats, form potato mixture into medium-sized balls.
5. Flatten balls and dredge in flour.
6. Place pancakes gently into oil and fry to a deep golden brown, flipping once.
7. Place on a paper towel lined baking sheet to absorb any excess oil.
8. Plate ‘em up and enjoy!
Need more easy holiday recipes, shortcuts or tricks of the trade to get you through this very busy season? Come to one of The Chopping Block's great holiday-helper classes like Holiday Hootenanny, Fun ‘n’ Fancy Holiday Cookies or Under the Influence.
Don't have time for a cooking class? Gift cards allow you to enjoy the fun after the holidays. If you purchase a gift card worth $40 or more this month, you'll save 20% off your retail purchase in store that day.