The Chopping Block is now carrying a new stainless steel cookware line in our Lincoln Square location, and I can’t wait to tell you all about it!
Hestan Cookware boasts a rich legacy of innovation founded by Stanley Cheng, a visionary entrepreneur renowned for his contributions to the culinary industry. Hestan has consistently pushed the boundaries of culinary technology, introducing groundbreaking advancements that redefine the art of cooking. Each piece is handcrafted in Italy and engineered to deliver exceptional performance, durability, and aesthetics.
There are many different lines in the Hestan family: ProBond, NanoBond, CopperBond and there is even a Thomas Keller Line called Insignia just to name a few. At The Chopping Block, we decided to focus on the ProBond line. I feel like it has all of the same benefits and in general, it's the most versatile line for the best price tag for the average home cook. Some of the reasons we decided to carry this line is based on these key attributes:
- Flush Rivets: Preventing the buildup of food residue and enabling convenient nesting for storage.
- Sealed Rims: Ensuring dishwasher-safe cookware with rims that will never split or delaminate.
- Flared Rims: Facilitating drip-free pouring for mess-free cooking experiences.
- Handle Design: Rests comfortably in hand, minimizes heat transfer via stay-cool handle vent, and offers an improved angle for lifting and moving the cookware. The seamless handle eliminates the food-trapping crevice.
- Hestan Lids: Interchangeable between all of the collections.
- Larger Cooking Surface: Skillets, sauté pans, and saucepots offer 20% greater cooking surface area compared to pans of the same size, enhancing versatility in the kitchen.
All of these little things that go into making a pan that will last a lifetime really make a difference and make it worth the cost.
ProBond is clad stainless-steel cookware, similar to All Clad, but with advanced features and benefits. The tri-ply construction is optimized by cold forging the steel so the base and rims are thicker for durability, but the sidewalls are thinner to help reduce the weight. Clad cookware is a sandwich of metals and it’s usually the inner core that conducts the heat evenly throughout the pan. What matters most are the quality of these materials versus the number of layers. Hestan NanoBond and ProBond are tri-ply construction with a highly efficient aluminum core called ProCore™ that delivers 35% greater heat conductivity than other aluminum-clad cookware for fast and even heating. Next to copper, it’s one of the most conductive metals for cookware. No need for extra layers that add unnecessary weight to the pan and in some cases even impedes the heat. Hestan cookware is designed to be high performance but lightweight and efficient. ProBond has a polished stainless steel rim paired with brushed stainless steel body so it's not only functional but is also beautiful to look at!
We decided to start with just four key ProBond pieces that I feel could be the most used in the home cook's kitchen.
1. 12.5-inch Skillet is perfect for searing meats, sautéing, or cooking eggs.
2. 5-quart Sauté Pan is great for braises, stews or risotto and other grains.
3. 2-quart Sauce Pan is for all of your sauce making needs.
4. 3.5-quart Essential Pan The slope sides of this pan are great for everything from custards to sauces and even stir-fries.
Another reason we decided to go with Hestan is their commitment to customer satisfaction. Hestan prioritizes sustainability throughout its manufacturing process, ensuring responsible sourcing of materials and minimizing environmental impact. Hestan stands behind its products with the utmost confidence. Their lifetime warranty is unparalleled, and they offer a full refund within 45 days if you are not completely satisfied.
I was very pleasantly surprised when I first tried out all of the samples of each collection before ultimately making the decision to carry just the ProBond. All of the pans performed better than I could have anticipated.
My test for stainless steel pans is always steak and eggs. If I can get a great crust on my ribeye, then I am a happy camper! If I can get my scrambled eggs to not stick to the bottom of my pan without using a specific non-stick pan, then I am most definitely sold. Let me tell you - these pans did not disappoint! I can’t wait until we can outfit our kitchens with these new pans so all of the students may “try” before they buy them so stay tuned for that. Until then, if you have any questions about Hesten or any of their products, their website is a wealth of information. Or, stop by Lincoln Square to see the whole collection in person and any of our chefs would be happy to answer any questions you have.