Show of hands: how many of you get so excited to go apple picking and then come home and pour all the apples out of the bags only to realize you bought enough apples for your whole block? Or is that just me?
While there are apple pies, and candy apples, my go-to dish with apples is muffins. It’s a great way to meal prep. They are great for a family brunch, and this week I am dropping some off to a friend’s house who had surgery today.
Can you make this gluten free? Yep! Just substitute Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour – just make sure the flour is made with white rice flour and has xanthan gum in the ingredient list. Bob’s Red Mill makes a lot of gluten free flours, but some are made with chickpea flour, which is dense and well, tastes like chickpeas!
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
Makes: 1 dozen muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
For the muffins:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, shredded
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup shredded apples
- 1 egg
For the streusel:
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/8 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped granola
For the glaze:
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond milk
- Mix the streusel topping together and set aside. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the flour, sugar*, salt and baking powder together. Add the shredded butter and mix into the flour.
- In a second bowl, mix the yogurt, apple, egg and almond milk together. Mix with the dry mixture and stir together just until combined.
- Divide between 12 muffins, top with streusel mixture, and add 1 teaspoon of granola over the top of the muffin, pressing slightly to make the topping stick.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Remove from the tin after a couple minutes - if you leave it in the muffin tin, they muffins will continue to cook.
- Mix the powdered sugar, cinnamon and almond milk for the glaze - drizzle a teaspoon of the glaze over the top of the muffin - it will set after about 15 minutes.
*Using all sugar, these muffins are 194 calories. If you wanted to lower the sugar, you could use half sugar and half no calorie sweetener, such as Truvia or monkfruit.
Apple Fest is this weekend in Lincoln Square location from 9-6 both Saturday and Sunday! Be sure to stop by our booth right outside our store for a glass of Right Bee Cider hard cider. We won't have apple pie by the slice this year, but you can pre-order a whole pie for pick-up on Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It comes in a seasoned Lodge cast iron skillet, which is yours to keep!