I always want something sweet after dinner to complete my meal and to satisfy my sweet tooth. There are many times that there is no dessert in the house to get me that sweet satisfaction. But I always keep ingredients on hand that allow me to create a small dessert for one.
This recipe is quick, easy and will satisfy that sweet craving. It's a single serve microwavable dessert that comes together in just five minutes. And the best part is you likely already have all of the ingredients!
A chocolate lava cake is a decadent dessert that can be made as a sophisticated dessert that can be shared and brought to a gathering, but it can also be a simple and delicious one serving dessert that can come together in minutes just for you!
Along with this dessert being quick and easy, it’s very versatile. You can top this cake with so many different foods. Some of my favorite toppings are fresh fruits like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I also love adding cream, whether it be whipped or just a bit of double cream. If you want some extra sweetness, you can add some type of nut butter or Biscoff cookie butter. I also love to top it off with any type of ice cream I have in my freezer. The cake is nice and hot and once you add that ice cream, it melts and makes the dish gooey and delicious!
Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Yield: 1 mug cake
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Inactive time: 1 minute
Total time: 5 minutes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce chocolate pieces
1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- While the butter is melting, whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder together in a mug until well combined.
- Add melted butter, egg, milk, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix very well.
- Add the chocolate and push it into the batter until it is in the center - this will be the lava part of the cake.
- Drizzle the water on top of the cake batter.
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the cake has risen and the edges are set.
- Let rest and cool for 1 minute and enjoy!
Now that your cake is done you can personalize it with anything you want to add on top! Here is what mine looks like - I added powdered sugar and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This dessert is for those cravings and those late nights but there are so many more desserts that you can delve into once you have the time and you can find so many of them right here on The Chopping Blog. If you are looking for the perfect cheesecake or even chocolate mousse, we are your go-to resource!