Grilling season is in full swing at The Chopping Block, and one of my favorite grilling classes is New Orleans Brunch on the Grill. We make Cajun grilled shrimp skewers with remoulade, BBQ baked frittatas with andouille sausage and green peppers and a spinach grapefruit salad with honey-mint dressing. But my favorite recipe is the dessert: grilled seasonal fruit with bourbon-butter sauce and toasted pecans. Last time, we featured pineapple!
The best part of this dish is that you probably already have all of the ingredients that you need in your kitchen!
All you need is:
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- lemon juice
- vanilla ice cream
You can change up this recipe by adding any seasonal fruit that you’re in the mood for. You could grill peaches, plums, melons, pears, bananas, figs, or really anything. In this recipe, you want to lightly oil your fruit of choice and then sprinkle it with a combination of sugar and cinnamon. This helps caramelize the fruit when it touches the grill. You want nice visible grill marks, and that’s it!
And let me tell you about this sauce! First you melt butter until it’s foamy and aromatic, then you whisk in bourbon and brown sugar. That is, of course, is a delicious combination, but again you can change it based on your preferences. You can substitute with brandy, whisky, rum or any dark liquor. If you aren’t someone that enjoys liquor in your dessert, you can completely omit this. Then all you do is simmer until thick and glazy. Add finish with a squeeze of citrus, such as lemon juice.
Toast any type of nut that you have on hand. I would recommend using pecans and toasting them at 350 degrees for about 5-8 minutes. Once you start smelling them and can see a little bit of color, take them out of the oven.
Then combine it all together! Take a bowl and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, top with grilled pineapple, bourbon-butter sauce, and toasted pecans.
Grilled Pineapple with Bourbon-Butter Sauce and Toasted Pecans
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Active time: 20 minutes
Start to finish: 20 minutes
1 1/2 pounds seasonal fruit, prepped as needed 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter 1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup brown sugar Lemon juice to taste
4 scoops vanilla ice cream
1/3 cup pecans, toasted and rough chopped
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill, or a stovetop grill pan, over medium heat.
- Brush the cut sides of the fruit with just enough grapeseed oil to lightly coat. Sprinkle the cut
sides with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the fruit on the grill, cut side down, and cook until caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the fruit is grilling, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foamy. Whisk in the bourbon and brown sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer until the sauce is thick and glazy. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- For each serving, place the grilled fruit in a bowl and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with the bourbon sauce and top with toasted pecans.
This grill class was a demonstration class, which means you can relax and ask any questions while the chef makes everything for you. Then you get to eat everything the chef makes. Come in and join us for a grilling class!
Upcoming Grilling Classes at Lincoln Square:
Grilling Workshop Demo on the Patio Saturday, June 12, 11am ONLY 2 SPOTS LEFT!
- Grilled Pizza with Asparagus and Goat Cheese
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecued Chicken Legs and Thighs
- Sirloin Sliders with Grilled Onions and Creamy Horseradish Mayonnaise
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lemon-Dill Butter
Hands-On Seafood on the Grill Saturday, June 19, 11am
- Cedar Planked Salmon with Miso Butter and Grilled Sesame Broccoli
- Grilled Scallops with Fennel and Roasted Red Peppers
- Snapper Grilled in Banana Leaves with Pineapple-Black Bean Salsa
Hands-On Summer in the City on the Patio Friday, July 2, 6:30pm
- Grilled Pesto Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
- Grilled Scallops with Sweet Corn-Prosciutto Relish
- Smoky Pork Tenderloin with Brown Sugar-Dijon Mustard Glaze and Grilled Sweet Potatoes