Before I started working at The Chopping Block, I was not comfortable with making doughs. But thankfully, the chefs here really know how to break this task down for any home cook to tackle. And when the technique is applied to homemade soft pretzels with honey mustard? I’m sold! If I can teach teenagers to make these pretzels during a week-long teen baking class, I am sure you can tackle this recipe.
The best part of this dish is that you probably already have all of the ingredients that you need in your kitchen!
All you need is:
- granulated sugar
- active dry yeast
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- Dijon mustard
- yellow mustard
- apple cider vinegar
The steps in this recipe might seem long and overwhelming, but let me break down these larger steps into simpler ones.
You can think about the recipe in five steps:
- Make the dough and let it proof.
- Roll out the dough and shape into pretzels.
- Simmer pretzels in baking soda and water.
- Brush with egg wash and salt.
- Bake until browned.
Let me tell you about this honey mustard! It only has five ingredients, but it is the most perfectly balanced dipping sauce. First, you mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, honey and apple cider vinegar. Then season with salt and pepper to taste. And you’re done! It's the perfect pairing for these homemade pretzels.
Homemade Soft Pretzels with Honey Mustard
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Yield: 8 pretzels
Prep time: 30 minutes
Inactive time: 75 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup warm water (110 to 115º)
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
2 to 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 large egg white beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Kosher salt as needed
For the honey mustard:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the water in a large bowl and stir in sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to ensure that the yeast is alive. It should look frothy.
2. Add the salt and 2 cups of flour. Stir until the dough becomes thick.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Knead until smooth, 6 to 7 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky.
4. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise at room temperature for one hour or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 450°.
6. To shape the pretzels, punch down the dough and divide into 8 pieces.
7. Roll each piece into a rope, then shape into a pretzel.
8. Place on a greased sheet tray, cover with a kitchen towel, and allow to rise for about 15 minutes.
9. Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to a boil in a large, shallow pan. Add baking soda and reduce heat to a simmer.
10. Carefully add the pretzels, a few at a time, and simmer for one minute.
11. Return to the sheet tray and brush with the egg white glaze and sprinkle with salt. Bake until well browned, about 15 minutes.
12. While the pretzels are baking, prepare the honey mustard. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustards, honey and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If these pretzels made you crave some bratwurst to go with them, you are in luck! Join us for Prost! Hands-On German Feast on the Patio this Friday, October 15 at 6:30pm at Lincoln Square. In this outdoor grilling class, you'll make:
- Marinated Grilled Brats with Horseradish Sauce and Potato Salad
- Grilled Pork Filets with Butter Lettuce Salad and Mustard Vinaigrette
- Bratapfel (Baked Apples on the Grill with Cinnamon and Sugar a la Mode)
If you are interested in learning more about breads, we have just a few spots left in Artisanal Breads Boot Camp this Saturday, October 16 at 10am at Lincoln Square. In this bread-focused class, you will master:
- Homemade Pizza with Sourdough Crust
- Sourdough Multigrain Baguette with Dried Fruit and Herbs
- Gruyere-Stuffed Crusty Loaves
- Potato Pan de Mie (Potato Pullman Loaf)
- Braided Lemon Bread with Lemon Curd-Cream Cheese Filling
- Knotted Dinner Rolls