What’s better than a delicious fudgy brownie? A triple boozy brownie, of course! When I studied abroad 15 years ago, I spent a weekend in Dublin, Ireland. It was a beautiful place with friendly people, and if you ever have the opportunity, I recommend going! While there, I toured the Guinness brewery and Jameson distillery, and had more than my fair share of Bailey’s Irish Cream.
That trip and those flavors inspired these brownies! Not only are all three of these Irish staples delicious, but they also all pair really well with chocolate.
If you’re looking for a dessert to make after your St. Patrick’s Day Corned Beef and Cabbage or Shepherd’s Pie, this is it! Since the ganache and the frosting have booze that doesn’t get baked out, I’d recommend serving these to adults only.
Guinness Stout Brownie
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Inactive time: 3 hours
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided into 2 portions of 1/2 cup)
6 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Guinness stout
1. Preheat your oven to 325 and grease an 8 x 8 pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a double boiler (or the microwave)! Melt together ½ cup chocolate chips and 6 tbs butter.
4. Add vanilla to melted chocolate/butter mixture.
5. Add Guinness to liquid ingredients.
6. Add liquid ingredients to stand mixer (if using) or a large bowl works just fine!
7. Add eggs to liquid ingredients. Mix to combine (by this point the chocolate should not be hot, but make sure so as to not cook the eggs!)
8. With the mixer on low (or with a spoon), mix the dry ingredients into wet, until combined. The batter will be thick.
9. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
10. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let cool for 1 hour.
Jameson Whiskey Ganache
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-2 Tablespoons Jameson Irish Whiskey
1. Over low heat, scaled your cream until just steaming.
2. Add chocolate chips to cream. Let sit for 2 minutes to allow the heat to melt the chocolate.
3. Mix the chocolate and cream together to create a homogenous mixture.
4. Add in 1-2 Jameson to taste/texture preference.
5. Poke holes with a fork or skewer in brownies.
6. Pour ganache over brownies and smooth into even layer.
7. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
Bailey’s Irish Cream Frosting
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 pound confectioners sugar
1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream
1. In a stand mixer, with the whisk attachment, add 1 cup of softened butter and whip for 30 seconds to incorporate some air.
2. Add vanilla bean paste, salt, and confectioners sugar and whip to combine (it will be very thick!)
3. Add in Bailey’s and whip to combine. You can add additional Bailey’s (or milk) if the frosting is too thick.
4. Pipe rosettes onto individual brownies, or frost an even layer on top.
5. Enjoy with Bailey’s over ice (or a glass of milk!).
If these brownies have you wanting to do some more baking, join us for our Virtual Baking: Scones and Lemon Curd on Sunday, March 21 at 11am CST, Virtual Puppy Treats (four legged friends like baked goods too!) on Tuesday, March 23 at 6pm CST, Virtual Easter Treats Workshop on Saturday, April 3 at 2pm CST, Virtual Sourdough Bread Demonstration on Sunday, April 11 at 1pm CST, or Virtual Cupcake Workshop on Saturday, April 24 at 2pm CST.
Need fine salt, vanilla bean paste, or Callebaut chocolate? Place a curbside order by emailing Lincoln@thechoppingblock.com. Go to the SHOP tab in the top navigation of our website to see what retail products we have available.
Or maybe these brownies just made you in the mood for more booze? join us for Virtual Cocktails: Bourbon and Rye on Saturday, April 10 at 5pm CST and Virtual Cocktails: Punch Party on Saturday, April 24 at 5pm CST!