For as long as I can remember, I’ve made a flag cake every Fourth of July, and it’s become an integral part of my summer holiday tradition. I often spent the Fourth of July on a Sebec Lake in Maine with my family. I’ve even had the opportunity to pass my love onto the newest generation of bakers, including my cousin Ella.
You know what cake I’m referring to, right? A rectangular cake, white frosting, decorated with strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries in the shape of the American flag. Flag cakes are simple, delicious, and fun for kids to make, but I have to admit, after these years, it’s time for something a little more innovative! For a new twist on this Independence Day classic dessert, try my brownie fruit pizza this weekend! My mom approved, and agreed that the best part of this dessert is that you can personalize and make it for any occasion with whatever fruit you like – try blackberries, mango, kiwi, etc.
I love that you (or the kids) can get creative with the pattern of the fruit, and of course, I love that it includes a fudgy chewy chocolate-y brownie (though you could substitute a sugar cookie base if chocolate isn’t your thing – but then, we can’t be friends). I’m a no-nuts-in-my-brownies type of girl, but if you like the crunch, go right ahead and add them. The cream cheese topping means that you have a creamy element without having to get messy with ice cream, though I always fully support adding ice cream on top, if that sounds good to you!
Brownie Fruit Pizza
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Inactive Time: 1 hour
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups cocoa
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Cream Cheese Topping
1 8 oz block cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 oz whipped topping (like Cool Whip), thawed
6 oz blueberries
6 oz raspberries
8 oz strawberries, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients: granulated sugar, flour, cocoa, chocolate chips and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients: eggs, oil, water and vanilla.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet, in thirds, until incorporated. Batter will be thick.
5. Grease and line a 16-inch pizza pan with parchment paper (you can use an 8-inch pan, but make half the batter), you could also use a jelly roll pan and make a rectangle if that’s what you have available).
6. Spread the brownie batter evenly in the lined pizza pan.
7. Bake 30-40 minutes, until set.
8. Let the brownie cool for 45-60 minutes.
9. While the brownie is cooling, in a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and thawed whipped topping.
10. Once the brownie is cool, spread cream cheese topping onto brownie leaving 1-2 inches from the edge, for the “crust”.
11. Decorate the cream cheese topping with fruit in whatever pattern you choose.
12. Cut into slices, and enjoy!
If this brownie fruit pizza has you in the mood to up your baking skills, join us for some upcoming hands on baking classes at Lincoln Square:
- Hands On Macaron Workshop on Sunday, July 11 at 10am
- Hands On Cupcake Bootcamp on Sunday, July 18 at 10am
- Hands On Artisanal Bread Boot Camp on Sunday, August 8 at 10am
- Hands On All American Pie Workshop on Sunday, August 15 at 10am
Or maybe you’d like to bake in your own kitchen? Join us for:
- Virtual Phyllo Workshop on Saturday, July 24 at 2pm CST
- Virtual Jelly Roll Cake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries on Sunday, August 22 at 10am CST
We’d love to help you stock your kitchen for all your baking needs. Visit us at Lincoln Square if you need Callebaut chocolate chips, vanilla bean paste, fine salt, spatulas, baking pans and more!
If you didn’t know that that chocolate pairs well with bubbles, now’s the time to learn! Pick up a bottle of Adami Prosecco, Pierre Moncuit Champagne, or Gruet sparkling rose to enjoy along size your Brownie Fruit Pizza.
Cheers to having a happy and safe Fourth of July, full of family, friends, good food, and lots of Brownie Fruit Pizza!
For more fun Fourth recipes, download our free recipe collection.