My mom and I just got back from a trip to Michigan for a long weekend. One thing neither one of us had done before is pick blueberries so we quickly remedied that! They are one of our favorite fruits and I quickly picked five pounds of berries and brought them home.
A few notes about fresh blueberries:
- Do not rinse them until just before you are about to use them.
- To freeze, lay the blueberries on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. Store in a Ziploc bag and scoop out as much as you need – because they are individually frozen, they will not stick together in one big clump.
Scones are one of my favorites for a quick breakfast. The best part is that these scones freeze very well. Simply defrost in the fridge overnight or go straight from the freezer to an air fryer and heat for 5-7 minutes at 360 degrees. They will taste like they just came out of the oven.
Blueberry Sour Cream Scones
Scroll down for a printable version of this recipe
Makes: 8 scones
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
For the scones:
2 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen – no need to defrost!)
For the glaze:
1 1/2 cups no calorie Splenda
1/4 cup corn starch
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
Blend in your food processor until smooth.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the coconut oil and using a fork, blend that into the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and almond milk and mix, just until combined. Stir in the blueberries.
- Put the dough on your counter and using flour, shape the dough into an 8 inch circle. (An 8-inch cake pan is good to have on hand for reference).
- Place that circle on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and put it in your freezer for 10-15 minutes. Your knife cuts will be easier to make if your dough is super cold.
- Cut into 8 pieces, bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and drizzle with sugar free glaze.
These scones would also be great to serve for brunch. Check out one of our upcoming in-person classes at Lincoln Square featuring brunch:
- New Orleans Brunch Demo on the Patio Sunday, September 5 at 11am
- Fall Brunch Demo on the Patio Saturday, September 25 at 11am